Occupy Minutes Dec 2, 2011
Andrew, Ted, Donna, Lisa DiCaprio, JK Canupa, Bahareh, Melanie, Ken
Gale, Martha Cameron, Ryan, Carol, Nick
Action for December 3 at Zuccotti Park to be in solidarity with COP17
-Global Climate Action Day Tomorrow
-What are we doing with Durban
-Suggested Teach in, Speakers, Just an action of Solidarity
-Event would take place at 10am
-Open forum that would last an hour
-Create a Fossil award to hand out tomorrow to Brookfield
Discussion of Intercessional 16th Events from 1pm-6p,
Liberty Plaza (OWS)–”Transformative Earth Summit” or “Sacred
Economy” or “Abundant Future” or “the Economy we want”
o Teach-in on alternative economies and transformation
o The economy we want…what kind of economy do you want?
Dag Hammerkjold–”The Future We Want”
o Discuss with work groups at OWS
o Direct action–picket/rally
Times Square–”Progress Celebration” sustainable consumption and
production “Victory, or progess, as a theme?”
o Keeping up the pressure, party and celebration
Actions to take place on the 16th
March from Dag Hammerskjold Parko Times New School
-Have march go past UN and Embassies/Missions of Note (Brazil,
-bring green and blue scarves to identify ourselves
-Discussion of What Time all the Events are going to take place
-Discussion of Getting in Touch with Island Nations who are going
Perhaps a viewing of “The Island President”
-Climate Justice Issues – Carbon Trading Schemes that allow
deforestation for the sake of coal plants
-hold service for environment
dance troupes –
-get someone from a sinking Island Nation
Discussion on the Website
Freedom march on Dec 10 Human Rights Day
Remember! 83 Christopher St. for New York Clearwater Party at 630pm on
Michael Davidson, Shane Chase, Jonathan , Donna Stein, Ted Schulman,
Carol, Brendon, Gabriel – Lost Tribe of Israel/Allies of Peace and
Agenda for Today
-Outreach to OWS working Group
-Outreach to Partners Outside of OWS
-December 15th/16th Intercessional
Recap: who we are
Discussion on the Spokes Council
-Discussion of Nov 15
-probably not attending as official working group
-Tag onto whatever they are doing
-submit idea to the GA
-create ‘invitation’ to join the OES group that is in formation to
join Peacechild at the steps of city Hall
Addressing Other working Groups
-talk to Alternative Currency about speaking engagements
-speakers at 60 Wall ‘the Atrium”
-Environmental Solidarity Group
-this Sunday from 2-6pm
-Mission Statement, defining Sentence
-create google doc to help define ourselves
-do we want to create a MOU
-use this week to create and critique a statement so that we can
consolidate and move forward
-Once a mission statement is created, approach the GA and create
direct action event with a speaker to be held in the Atrium
-make a list of potential speakers.
-Make sure that we aren’t alienating indigenous groups
-Talk to GYAN for our approach
_Talk to Liam for GYAN, on the indigenous talk to Tom Goldtooth
-Cannot be ethnocentric
December 15th/16th Intercessional
-member states will be there to talk about all the income documents
-what is the agenda for the Summit
-what will the 4 days leading up to it going to look like
-last intercessional before the member states start compiling the
-OES needs to raise awareness
-direct action around these events
-Make December 15th our major coming out party
-have smaller lead up events such as talks at the
Agenda and Action Steps
-Hammer out Mission Statement for OES
-Send out the info for the December Intercessional -
-Suggestions for Speakers
-Suggestions for direct action for the the Dec 15/16
Workgroup Minutes 11/09/2011
Meeting at Charlotte’s Place
- Talking shop
- PR group is really excited
- Should have a couple UN reps here next week
- Naming: Occupy Earth Summit
- Agenda Topics
- what does success mean for OES
- how does this tie in with other groups: create model to show the give-take between us and thou?
- using other organizations/parterns to accomplish goals; no need to re-invent the wheel
- Begin working on other work groups
Begin talking to other cities?
- What are our assets that we bring to this working group? Create lists to share
- The movemt is organiezed global and that is sustaninable
- It is a force to be contended with
- Sustainable economicsand non-consuptive practices
- Engaging the every-person
- Global follow through; sense of urgency
- Necessary shift of values and ethics
- Define set of priorities
- Life promoting systems: let’s add life to the system, harmony with nature
- Indigenous Perspectives: make this a top line value
- Do we have any contacts with Indigenous Tribes
- 13 Indigenous Grandmothers: Get in touch with them.
- What is the Foundational Message of OES? How are we representing ourselves to other groups?
- Top line of the Earth Summit is sustainable economy
- Tie in with the Money Group to Align with that Goal
- Align ourselves with Earth Summit Goals and then pushing them a step further
- Open Source: creating open source technologies amongst the people for the people by the people
- Commoners taking charge of our own lives
- We are the future: how do you want to play with us
- Present what we want and what needs to happen to the ES and letting majors know that they should get on board and if they don’t, we are leaving them behind.
- Remember that we are a radical movement
- Do we want to reach out to each one of these groups who submitted input documents
- Create Flo Chart to send out to all the different Input Groups
- Shows OES at top and create subgroups that the 620 orgs fit into
- Aligns all the groups into groups and encourages them to work together
- Encourage them/offer them to connect into a social system so that they can work together
- Use Alas de Rio to help get out these broad ideas
- Use think map style; tag cloud; make the movement artistic
- Who is “we”
- To begin with, we are the occupy earth summit work group
- See OES as an umbrella group that helps to represent other groups
- The People’s Earth Summit
- What language are we using? Are we using our language or their language
- Becoming aware of which words to use
- For instance success=outcome
- Begin now with creating the culture of using proper and comprehensive language
- Back to Visioning
- Return life to a state of Flourishing
- We do not speak on behalf of the movement: we are trying to get language that is representative
- Take the monopoly away from the powers that be
- We are speaking as a movement/group
- How are we being strategic with the GA?
- We are very transparent and we are very literal
- Submit to the Assembly the goals that we come up with here that we think should be a part of the assembly.
- Make Rio the goal of this movement
- Talking coordinated communication amongst occupy movement
- Our aim is empowerment – assemblies across the world are decentralized
- Moral Inventory of US
- Not our movement
- This is movement about virtue that we want to see change the next millennium
- Remind ourselves that ‘we’ are not it, we are one beacon amongst many
- One minute videos
- Shout outs to small towns to validate different occupy groups
- Recognize that other occupies are looking at OWS
- What resrouces are we looking at locally and outside of OWS
- Nathan Forester – Thru outreach to youth through rural agriculture systems.
What is our relation to other organizations?
What does it mean
Action steps need be taken with other groups but need to recognize that we need to help with the framework
- Create occupy earth summit NY?
- Start talking to University eco clubs?
- Proposed Event from Peachchild for Nov 15th
- First action step for this working group is to be
- Reach out universities
- Future Agenda Items
- What does it mean to reach out to other groups
- How do we package ourselves?
- Who do we want to partner?
- Recap defining who we are
- Begin discussion about who we want to reach out to
- Action Steps
- reaching out to PEachechild
- reaching out to the occupies
- working on blueprint document
- Input documents
- Reach out to universities
- Nov 15 anti-fracking
Minutes for Occupy Earth Summit – November 4th 4pm-5pm
Third Meeting of Occupy Earth Summit Working Group
-attendees Ted Schulman, Andrew Schwartz, Ted Hall, Harvey Newman, Fred, Charles, Ana, Melanie, Daryl and 5 others
-what the Earth Summit is
-Discussion of who is involved in MobilizeUS!, what MobilizeUS! and does
-Discussion about should we become an official group to go to Rio?
-Should we go as our own entity to be recognized by the UN?
-Partnering with URI?
-Officially joining MobilizeUS?
-How do we officially become a recognized body at the UN?
How are we in alignment with what is already going on
cannot try to create a meta narrative that only represents needs and concerns of the USA. Must be representative of all #occupies
-re-affirmation of support and adoption of the Bolivian Government’s Harmony With Nature proposal
-went over the top 10 asks from mobilizeUS!, reaffirmed support and adoption
-read through and critiqued Blueprint Document from Occupy Wall Street
Went over the proposals from last meeting
-propose a direct action campaign against the queen’s diamond jubilee
-Talking about what work groups we want to reach out too
-Create a work-wide broadcast schedule for #occupy: Occupy Earth Summit something as a section of that
-How are we going to structure the group?
-suggest break out groups
-how big do we want to think
-how do we structure group to work with other groups?
-Visioning what a successful Occupy Earth Summit would look like?
Agenda for Next Meeting
-Begin next meeting with small groups break out to check on vision for the future
-what does success mean?
-how does this tie in with other groups: create model to show the give-take between us and thou
-using other organizations/parterns to accomplish goals; no need to re-invent the wheel
Begin working on other work groups
Begin talking to other cities?
Read thru the Blueprint Document that will hopefully encourage other occupies to create their own blueprints
-Use leadership model of OWS to inform this working Group
-What are our assets that we bring to this working group? Create lists to share